Maserati 250F – The dawn of a legend
Following its creation in 1950, the World Championship for drivers saw an intense battle between manufacturers Alfa Romeo, Talbot Lago and Ferrari among others. Maserati yearned to return to the top echelon and the new 2.5 liter Formula for 1954 in addition to the pull-out of Alfa Romeo would provide that opportunity.
The Maserati factory team was able to entice Ferrari’s chief designer Gioacchino Colombo along with engineer Valerio Colotti who would be responsible for the chassis, suspension and transmission of a new car. The Maserati 250F was born.
The car featured a twin plug, 220 bhp, 2.5 Maserati A6 straight-six engine, ribbed 13.4’ drum brakes, wishbone independent front suspension and a De Dion tube axle. The aluminum bodywork was both functional and elegant with the fuel tank forming the tail of the car and having a capacity of 200 liters.
The cockpit was quite generous and offered an upright seating position with plenty of elbow room but the dash was too close for the straight-armed driving style favored by many of the newer drivers.
The transmission offered four forward gears plus reverse while drum brakes were used for stopping the car with the 13.4″ diameter drums mounted outboard front and rear.
Further changes for the works cars were applied during the 1955 season and included a more appropriate 5-speed gearbox, wider steel drums and large bore exhaust system.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFO