1955 Ferrari 250 Europa GT
Located in Germany
1955 Ferrari 250 Europa GT with Pininfarina coachwork, chassis 0391GT
The introduction of the 250 Europa at the Paris Motor Show in late 1953, marked a major milestone in the development of Ferrari as a series-production manufacturer. Realizing that a degree of production uniformity was essential for profitability, Ferrari launched its seminal 250 GT series. As the distinguished first installment of the long running 250 GT, the Europa generally wore elegant high-waisted coachwork by Pinin Farina and was powered by a 200-bhp Lampredi V-12, derived from the larger engine found in the America models.
Ferrari introduced a second series in late 1954, named the 250 Europa. Despite having a near-identical body, the Ferrari Europa GT was much different under the skin compared to its predecessor. Fitted was a detuned version of the short-block Colombo V12 that first appeared in the 250 MM. With 9.0 compression and a set of Weber 36 DCZs, 220 bhp was possible.
The more compact engine was fitted in a smaller chassis designated Tipo 112. This had a 200mm reduction and also supported the four-speed gearbox and differential from the 342 America. Furthermore the chassis had independent front suspension which was a first for Ferrari’s road cars. Only 34 of this second series of the 250 Europa were built, most with Pininfarina coachwork.
Our Ferrari 250 Europa GT was delivered new to Pietro Barilla of the Barilla Pasta empire. Pietro Barilla was a close friend and important customer of Enzo Scandurra. It is believed that one year after Mr. Barilla’s possession of the car, This Europa GT was fitted with a “hot rod” engine as Pietro Barilla was planning to race the car. The original engine was installed in 1956 in another 250 Europa GT owned and raced by Jaques Swaters’ Ecurie Francorchamps.
In 1960 the Europa GT was imported by Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti into the United States and sold to the USA and put for sale by Luigi Chinetti. There were several different owners in the United States. During that time this Europa was fitted with the engine of a 250 GT Elena Coupe Chassis 0727.
The car was eventually sold to a Swiss collector who had it fully restored The car was then fully restored by Italian restoration specialsit Carrozzeria Nova Rinascente. Chassis and brought back to it’s original color combination. In 2002 this 250 Europa GT at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, one of the most prestigious Concours events in the world. It won Trofeo Pininfarina award for the most significant Pininfarina body.
Being a Mille Miglia eligible car it was entered in the 2010 1000 Miglia, meanwhile owned by a Dutch collector.
One of only 34 cars built the car still shows extremely well with its older restoration and could still be entered at Concours events. Most important is the fact that it is a joy to drive and an excellent 1000 Miglia entrant.
Price upon request
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFO