1950 Ferrari 195 Inter Vignale Coupe
CategoryLocated in the USA
1950 Ferrari 195 Inter Vignale Coupe
Grey and magenta metallic with a grey leather interior and grey carpeting, 2.3 Liter Colombo V12, 4-Speed Manual Transmission, History from New, Documented by Ferrari Historian Marcel Massini, 1 of 13 Bodied by Vignale.
The 195 Inter is the second road going automobile created by Ferrari. The factory produced 28 examples as a grand tourer version of the Ferrari 195 S race car. Similar to its predecessor, the 166 Inter, the automobile was unveiled during 1950 ParisMotor Show. Four Italian coach building companies crafted the final product. Vignale, Ghia, Touring, and Motto. After a year, the factory moved onto its successor the 212 Inter, which had almost triple the production of its younger brother.
Chassis number 0097S was originally sold from the factory to A.I.C.A.R S.r.l, an International Car and Spare Parts Trade Agency. The same day the agency received ownership from the factory, it was sold to its first private owner, Federico Munz. Federico successfully raced the car on April 15 of ’51 at the Coppa Intereuropa at Monza, Race #112. He finished 4th OA behind Villoresi and Chiron in larger displacement cars. The car was then entered in the Miile Miglia, taking place April 29, but did not start (most likely because it was still recovering from the Coppa!)
After a short quarter of ownership, the car was exported to Geneva, Switzerland. Andre Canonica became the second private owner to have the vehicle in his possession. Following the steps of Federico, it was raced at an airfield in Geneva, Race #1 in the latter half ’51, and placed 1st OA.
After a year of ownership the vehicle was shipped to the US and resided with Zumbuch’s garage. Later in 1955 it was owned by Donald Lee, the third owner. Under his supervision, the car’s body and engine were damaged in a serious fire but the chassis and all the running gear were spared.
In the 60’s, Donald was ready to part ways. He sold it to an Attorney in New York, Gary A. Schonwald. Gary attempted to secure funding for the complete restoration necessary for the vehicle but it was deemed too expensive to complete. Gary owned a Ferrari 166 Vignale Coupe at the same time. He decided to rebody the 166, which was originally a Barchetta, and put the beautiful Coupe body with the 195. He sold the rolling chassis and the Vignale body car to John H. Baker a UK resident in 1981.
After trading hands between collectors, in 1987 the rolling chassis and body was sold to noted UK Ferrari collector, Lord Brocket. He entrusted the 195 Inter to different specialist companies across the UK for a ground-up concours restoration. To accommodate the slightly shorter Vignale body, the chassis was correctly shortened under Brockets ownership. The body was stripped to bare metal and repainted in a striking two-tone paint scheme of metallic silver-gray over dark metallic grey, sporting the same color grey leather interior as seen today. It was first shown in a semi-completed restoration state at Brocket Hall in 1989. By the year 1990, the majority of the work had been completed. With all restoration work finalized in 1993, 0097S was photographed for Richard Newton’s book “Ferrari Concours.” Shortly thereafter, Lord Brocket entered 0097S in the Louis Vuitton Concours held at Parc De Bagatelle, Paris, France. It won first in class at the Louis Vuitton Concours and best of show at another FOC Concours shortly after at Goodwood. During this period, 0097S’ engine was that of 0087S, another 195 Inter.
In 1996, 0097S was sold to its next owner, Peter Andersen. He drove the car during the Ferrari 50th Anniversary Meeting at Rome and Maranello, Race #17. With attention to detail and proper maintenance, the restoration which had taken place under Brockets’ ownership truly stood the test of time. It remained with Andersen until the car transferred ownership once again to a well-known Ferrari collector based in Connecticut during 2012.
Seeking perfection, between 2017 and 2021, over $300,000 has been invested to bring 0097S car back to its correct and former glory. All work was carried out by well-known and respected Ferrari specialist, Peter Markowski, RPM, Vermont who specializes in 50’s Ferrari’s. At this time, the engine from 195 Inter #0087, was replaced with a Ferrari Certified replacement engine. Due to the original engine being destroyed in the fire many years before, the Ferrari Factory’s Classiche Certification department was called upon to duplicate 0097S’s original 2.3 Liter Colombo V12 with a Single Weber Downdraft Carburetor. The 4-speed gearbox is from a Ferrari 212/225. 0097S was now extremely ready and able to enter the concours arena once again.
Having been one of the first 100 cars manufactured by Ferrari and historically significant, 0097S is welcomed at various prestigious concours throughout the world. Quite some time has passed until its coming back to the concours arena, winning first in class at the Louis Vuitton Concours in ’93, Best of Show at Ferrari Owners Club Concours in ’93 and The 50th Anni Ferrari in ’97, It’s new appearances started with Concours on the Avenue in ’17 in Carmel, The Quail in ’19, Cavallino Classic ’22, award winner at the Classic & Sports Sunday at Mar-A-Lago and most recently Best of Show at the 75th Anni Ferrari in Bridgehampton ’22.